|Tourist Info > Festivals, events and traditions|
this section :
The rich and varied historical heritage of (...)
Carnival Time in France Youpi, (...)
Fete de l’Ours et carnaval de Prats de (...)
Fete de la Belle Epoque The "Belle Epoque" (...)
Fete de la Musique - June Every year (...)
September Fete de Mailly - Port Vendres (...)
Fete de Mailly - Port Vendres September In (...)
Feux de la Saint Jean
In the fifth (...)
LA CASTANYADA 1st November Here in (...)
Pancake Day in France 2nd February (...)
La Fête des Rois (Three Kings Day) The (...)
La Toussaint (All Saints Day) - Festival of (...)
La Trobada La Trobada du Canigou A (...)
Lundi de Pentecôte (Whit Monday) in France (...)
Midsummer Madness - Els Focs de la Sant Jean (...)
Pessebres vivants .... real people acting (...)
International dog team racing The (...)
November 25th La Sainte Catherine (...)
December The AFM Telethon (l’Association
The Canigou race - Vernet-les-Bains At (...)
DecemberThe AFM Telethon
(l’Association Française contre les Myopathies et les maladies neuromusculaires)
The AFM Telethon has become France’s major fund-raising event.Contact your local Mairie or tourist office to find out details of events in your area.
Behind the fun and entertainment of the AFM Telethon is a serious purpose: to raise funds to support AFM’s research programs and services for people with neuromuscular diseases and to inform the general public about rare genetic disorders. Donations have helped research into gene-based therapies which are the best hope for curing thousands of currently incurable diseases, whether they are genetic diseases, like most neuromuscular diseases, or rare or even common diseases. Donations also go to promoting the understanding, the diagnosis and management of diseases which are often neglected by the public health system. The AFM-Telethon has helped improve the life of neuromuscular disease patients and change the way society looks at disability
For those who fight every day against a devastating disease, each Telethon is a new step on the road to victory over these diseases. Your donation will help accelerate research progress and raise patients’ hopes.Click here for more information
AFM, a permanent struggle... against disease
To conquer neuromuscular diseases, there are a number of potential avenues for treatment: gene therapy, drug treatments, stem cells, cell grafts, gene surgery. The AFM has focused on just one objective since it launched the "New Frontier" program in 2002: to apply these new therapies in humans.
Some Téléthon FAQ
- The word ’Téléthon’ is a contraction of television and marathon and symbolises 30 hours of non-stop live broadcasting on France 2.
- The Téléthon idea comes from the USA and was launched by Jerry Lewis in 1966.
- To organise an event or to get involved with others in the Pyrenees-Orientales contact the departmental organiser :
Coordination Téléthon 66
52 Rue Foch, 66000, PERPIGNAN
Téléphone : 04 68 51 22 43
Secretary: 04 68 51 28 78
Fax: 04 68 51 28 78
E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you dial 36 37, this will put you through to the ’centre de promesses’ or pledge centre
- Eighty per cent of all donations go directly to charity whilst the rest is used for admin, publicity, organisation, personnel costs and preparation and production.
- Presenters and performers in the Téléthon all offer their services free of charge.
- You can make a donation :
By telephone - 36 37 (0, 15 euro/mn) starting from 19h on Friday 2nd December
you will then receive your ’promesse de don’ (pledge confirmation) by post and should send a cheque in the pre-paid envelope provided.
At one of the events in person
By sending a cheque to AFM-Téléthon - Relations donateurs web - BP 1033 - 16001 Angoulême Cedex made out to l’AFM
- Sixty-six per cent of your donation is tax deductibleLook out for events in your area posted on this site as info comes in or check with your local Mairie or tourist office .